The Gloucester Business Chamber is a proactive not for profit organisation that represents business interests within the Gloucester (NSW) community, and in so doing, also provides support to community organisations and their projects. The Chamber in its various roles is working with local and state governments and has been a strong advocate for new business opportunities for the Gloucester district.
As part of that objective the organisation is an active player in seeking to develop skills for businesses, partnerships with organisations that have capacity to assist business capacity growth and increased bottom line performance.
The Chamber meets monthly and conducts a number of festivals, programs and industry support and development projects.
CHAMBER CONSTITUTION - Click here
History of the Business Chamber
The Gloucester Chamber of Commerce & Industry Inc was founded on 2-11-1927 at a public meeting held at the Shire Hall (now the Historical Museum) with 27 citizens in attendance. The Gloucester and District Chamber of Commerce was established to fulfil a growing need in the town for some responsible body, outside of Shire Council, to take up public matters which needed attention and also work with the Council for the progress of the town and district. By the end of the first year the membership had grown to 73 members, which included town businesses, farmers and graziers from the district.
The stated aims of the chamber at the time were "To the advancement and interests of the community as a whole".
During the first year, the Chamber lobbied Council and Government representatives for a through road from the coast to the tablelands and New England citing it as being important in the opening up of our district. Unfortunately it took another 36 years to get a rough road through in 1963 and the Chamber was still there at the opening of the final seal by Tony Windsor MP Member for Tamworth in 1998.
The town water supply, improved town lighting, and street kerb and guttering were all on the Chamber's agenda as well as improvements to mail and telephone services and Court House improvements As well as the restocking of fish in the local river systems. The Chamber also sought a statistical record of the district's industries, population and information for the use of tourists was prepared. The beginning of a Tourist Information Centre was added to the list and all attended too, by the Chamber within its first year.
The war and depression took their toll and Chamber became inactive from the end of 1941 until 15th of February 1946 when it reformed following the Second World War. The constitution was drafted and adopted in April 1989 and the Chamber was incorporated as Gloucester Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc. in May 1998.
The Chamber has continued working in a questioning and supportive way with local Council and government departments for the advancement of our community in the areas of tourism, road works, business development, employment, industry, mining and many others issues, and can be relied upon to continue to represent its members and the broader community on issues that present themselves in the future.